The Central Fire Station was constructed in 1911 and stands on the site of its 1882-93 predecessor. It was designed by one of Brandon’s most prominent early architects, W.A. Elliott. The addition of a tower to the original sketches proposed by Elliott was suggested by his young son Egbert. The contract for its construction was awarded to a local builder, A.E. Bullock, for a cost ranging between $37,000 to $40,000.
The architecture of the Central Fire Station combines Chateauesque style with an Italiante tower. Red brick, a steeply pitched roof with protruding dormers, and wrought iron balconies beneath the brackets of the bell tower make this an impressive structure. The main portion of the 2 ½ storey brick and concrete structure was built of semi fire-proof construction with 13 inch thick walls set on heavy concrete floors with a basement below. It is an excellent example of an early use of concrete.
The Italianate tower contained a large fire bell, known as “Coronation Bell” named in honour of the coronation of King George. The bell was manufactured in West Troy, New York with a weight of 4,400 pounds, a base of 62 inches and a range in the key of “C”. It was removed in 1971 to reduce the stress on the tower and is currently being restored.
Brandon Fire & Emergency Services